Sunday, July 12, 2009

Does Assad really want to invite Obama to Syria? :)

Obama on a 24-hour visit to Ghana 11 July 2009:

"No person wants to live in a society where the rule of law gives way to the rule of brutality and bribery. That is not democracy, that is tyranny, and now is the time for it to end. ... Africa doesn't need strongmen, it needs strong institutions."

"Repression takes many forms, and too many nations are plagued by problems that condemn their people to poverty. No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves"

"This is about more than holding elections - it's also about what happens between them,"

4 comments:

saint said...

I have mixed views about this. Sometimes I think he sincerely wants to invite Obama to visit so he can get legitimacy or kind of legitimacy internationally and more importantly in front of his people and to make his reach of peace with Israel splashy. Sometimes I say to myself he is doing that only for media attention since he had played media pretty good and his new theme right now as explained by his wife propaganda that since he is young and Obama is young so it is a match and the power of youngish (last idea just funny, don’t you think).
But after I heard Obama’s words today, I think he might be dreaming.

Philip I said...

He is scheming, she is dreaming and Obama has no time for either.

Rabi Tawil (AKA Abu Kareem) said...

Philip I,
Good to see you posting after a long absence.

Whether coddled or shunned by the US may make a difference in the way the West views Syria (and hence the President's "status"). It does nothing for the Syrian citizen.

Philip I said...

Thank you Abu Kareem. I enjoyed reading some of your recent posts at the weekend. Regards.